Friday, 29 October 2010

"If That's All There Is' is the only thing at Live@LICA this term then it is already a great year!

First of all I must apologise for the such late delivery of this post, I've had so many things on this week, I just have had no time to get round to writing a review for the show last Friday (22nd of October) called 'If That's All There is' by Inspector Sands at the Nuffield Theatre.

The show is about a couple who are teetering on the brink of the happiest day of their lives and about to get married, although the panic is starting to rise and the only problem is, everyone is watching them. As the performance continues we see through the eyes of the couple and a young work experience student and a therapist, just how much effort we go to, to try and make our lives fulfilling.

The show won the 2009 Edinborough International Festival Fringe Prize in 2009 and was the Guardian's Pick of the Festival in the same year. It easy to see why, the show is a very accessible one, full of comedy, serious moments and great performances. I felt really unwell whilst I was watching the performance and so probably didn't look like I was enjoying it, but I loved it. It was certainly very different to the majority of the performances staged at the Nuffield, but never - the - less it was still a hugely enjoyable performance to watch. At just over an hour, it was perfectly timed and kept the audience interested from the very moment you walked in and saw the two performers looking directly at the audience, the sense of involvement between the audience and performers was always on show. This aspect particularly appealed to me, the show seemed to catch the fact that audiences particularly in a theatre space want to feel part of the performance, but are extremely hesitate (except for a few to get up on the stage!.


A well crafted and delivered show, very worthy of its prize winning at the International Fringe!

Here are some interesting links that you may be interested in viewing:

http://www.inspectorsands.com/ - The Company's Website

http://www.lyric.co.uk/ - The Lyric Theatre, Hammersmith (The Commissioner of the Piece)

http://www.artsagenda.co.uk/ - Arts Agenda, The Associate Producers

Marcus

No comments:

Post a Comment